A Malaysian Chinese who believes that equality and respect go hand in hand.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

BANANA PEOPLE


Just a few days ago, I went to buy bread from a Chinese sundry shop in Tanjong Bungah. The towkei of the shop packed the bread for me and said, "Yi kuai Jiu!" and I had to turn to my friend, "What ah? How much ah?" Feeling very pai seh, my friend replied, "He said RM1.90 la.."

The towkei was slightly amused and wondered where I'm from since I can't understand Chinese (Mandarin). My friend then explained to him that I am from Ipoh and English educated (cheh wah, like very gaya like that) and can't read or write Chinese. The kindly old towkei nodded and smiled understandingly.

Not wanting to appear as un-chinese as I have already seemed to him, I said, "Ngo sek gong guongdong wah lah!" (I can speak Cantonese). "Ngo sek gong siu siu wah yi tan hai ng sek gong fu kin wah. Soh yu tau sin ngo ng meng pak lei gong mee yeah loh." (I know a little mandarin but do not know any Hokkien. That is why I did not understand what you said just now).

The towkei looked at me blankly. His 13 year old son replied for his father, "Ngo ah pa ng sek gong guongdong wah geh. Tan hai hui tau sin hai gong gan wah yi, ng hai fu kin wah," (My father doesn’t speak Cantonese. But he was speaking mandarin just now, not hokkien.).

The little boy then gave me a disgusted look, clearly wondering what kind of Chinese species I am if I don't even know mandarin. I was so peeved!!

I was looked down upon! Discriminated by my own race!
Maybe it's time to form another race of my own: Bananas.

For those who do not know, Banana is a term given to Chinese people who cannot speak Mandarin. Just like a banana, they are yellow on the outside but white on the inside. We originate from a bunch of Chinese people whose parents sent them to English schools set up by the British and most of the time, for the past three generations, not a single family member would know how to write Chinese. Most of the bananas' greatest command of Chinese would be the Hokkien and Cantonese vulgarities though.

Banana people (xiang jiao ren/kung chiu yan) have adopted Manglish as their traditional language (Just like Pua Chu Kang with his Singlish). Majority of the bananas can speak their own dialect but they can not read or write Chinese. Bananas celebrate Christmas (we like presents!) and Chinese new year (money is always good). Now, this has nothing to do with religion but we just like to celebrate for the slightest reasons.

Banana people shake their heads at other Chinese with extremely bad grammar. "May I friendster you?" makes banana girls want to drive a stake through the skulls of those lala chais. Perhaps banana people may be a little egoistical in the sense that they think just because they are westernized and are more proficient in English means they are better educated. I used to hold true to that belief but I have changed my views as I have come to realize the extreme difference between two types of Chinese educated Chinese.

Most of the top students in Malaysia are those from Chinese schools. They can get the highest grades and scare you with their studious attitude.(read: nerd.) Of course I respect them, I need to copy their notes. These top students are also one of the more creative people around and perhaps it's the chinese school upbringing, they are usually very talented.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The following is a transcript in Friendster messages between MIC Youth Dr. Punithan Shan and Miss Akiko.

It shows that this Punithan is a fraud, a pervert and not a gentleman to break this girl's heart. As a woman, I want this guy to be exposed to all. He must not be allowed to take advantage of young girls again.

Girls beware of him.

Please post this in your blog Mr. Lazarus.

Akiko Friendster
http://www.friendster.com/photos/75225143/1/212555080

Punithan Friendster http://www.friendster.com/photos/8135719/1/896300102
From: 0 PunithaN ShaN
Date: 09/8/2008 3:34 pm
Subject: Re: Hello from Japan
Message: greetings akiko,
thanks for the sweet msg. Glad to know that you are interested on our cultur.
please do tell more about you.
Akiko wrote:
> Koniichiwa Punithan-san,
>
> My name is Akiko. I have been reading about you. You are very cute and interesting. I have read your blogs. You are a doctor right? You are also involve in politics. I am very interested to know about your culture.
>
> Last year I visited India.I visited Goa, Chennai and Bangalore. I like the food and culture. I may be visiting Malaysia sometime soon. Hope to meet you in person.
>
> Looking forward to hear from you.
>
> Love,
>
> Akiko.
From: 0 PunithaN ShaN
Date: 09/9/2008 1:01 pm
Subject: 0 PunithaN ShaN wants to view your private photos.
Message: A message from 0 PunithaN ShaN:
Hi Akiko, I am requesting permission to view your private photos. Thanks! -- 0 PunithaN ShaN
0 PunithaN ShaN has permission to view your photos
From: 0 PunithaN ShaN
Date: 09/9/2008 1:03 pm
Subject: Re: Hello from Japan
Message: hie dear,
the pleasure is mine. u are a adventures plus religious girl. a very rare but intresting personality.
i am eldest in the family. my father is a bussnesman and mom is a teacher.
i dont really familiar with 'nudist'. hope to learn more on that.
btw, may i know wich is ur pic?

Akiko wrote:
> Ohaiyo gozaimas Punithan-san,
>
> I'm honored to have you as my friend. I don't know how to explain this but I feel that we have met before. I've read about karma. Maybe we knew each other ion our past life. Anyway I'm a university student.
>
> My father is a businessman while my mother is a dentist. I'm the eldest in my family. I like extreme sports like kickboxing. I'm also learning skydiving.
>
> I must tell you that I'm a naturist. Which means I'm a vegeterian and a nudist. I hope you are not offended to hear that I'm a nudist. I believe we are all created equal.
>
> When I'm at the budist retreat, I feel so safe and need not pretend to be what I'm not. People think that nudism and nudists are immoral but I don't think so. I may be a nudist but I'm proud to share with you Punithan-san that I'm a budists. I like to meet other fellow nudist because they are not judgemental or want to take advantage of you.
>
> I hope to share with you the beauty of budism and naturism. We are one with the Universe.
>
> I hope our friendship can grow. I want to learn more about you Punithan-san.
> I hope that you too are a nudist. If you are not, I hope you will join me.
>
> Love,
>
> Akiko.
> 0 PunithaN ShaN wrote:
> > greetings akiko,
> >
> > thanks for the sweet msg. Glad to know that you are interested on our cultur.
> >
> > please do tell more about you.

From: 0 PunithaN ShaN
Date: 09/10/2008 5:37 pm
Subject: Re: Hello from Japan
Message: Dear akiko,
I am really speechless aft seeing your prvt photo. beauty without limits. only that i can say. i love the 2nd pic. simply sweet.
From: 0 PunithaN ShaN
Date: 09/11/2008 3:56 pm
Subject: Re: Hello from Japan
Message: Hie akiko,
you are welcome. I dont have a nude photo of myself currently. but i promise you that soon i'll send you one.
do u have a boy friend?
From: 0 PunithaN ShaN
Date: 09/12/2008 11:17 am
Subject: greeting for a sweet girl
Message: vanakkam akiko,
you are praisisng me too much. I am just a normal guy with weakness also.
Day by day, i find you more and more interesting and mysterious...
Normally gals will be in control if see nude guys.... but its not that ez for the guys when they see nude gals. thats nature i guess.
Yes you are very true ab sex, sex is a art, a sacred thing tht 2 shouls should worship and enjoy the same time.
i'll try to get my nude pic and email it to you soon dear.
i am a tamil.

Akiko wrote:
> Ohaiyo gozaimas Punithan-san,
>
> How are you? I'm happy I was right about you. You are a true gentleman. You have values that Japanese men will envy.
>
> No, I don't have a boyfriend. Theguys I know of are only interested in taking advantage of me. Just because I'm a nudist doesn't mean I'm all for sex.
>
> Sex is only beautiful if it is pure and is shared with the person you lover where the mind, body and spirit of two hearts become one.
>
> I really like to take a journey of discovery with you Punithan-san. We have a lot ot discover about each other. The nude picture of our bodies is just the beginning of that journey. I'm looking forward to seeing your unclothed self.
>
> By the way, I've been doing some research. As you know I've been to India before. Are you a Hindi, Telugu or Tamil speaking person? I find these Indian languages fascinating.I must admit, I'm in love with Indian culture. You can send your nude photos to this email princess_akiko90@yahoo.com
>
> Love
>
> Akiko.

From: 0 PunithaN ShaN
Date: 09/13/2008 12:04 pm
Subject: miss you
Message: miss your msg today....

Anonymous said...

i agree with you that many chinese educated is highly educated in academic and hold good positions in working world. But there are more chinese educated which are school drop outs and working in the vice industry compare to the chinese of english educated.
chinese educated youngsters tend to fancy Taiwan and Hong Kong music industry while chinese english educated 'banana people' tend to listen to english songs be it RNB, hip hop, classic etc.
chinese educated people are more selfish and tend to cheat the strangers while banana people are more open thinking like the whites.
I am a banana people just like you and I am proud to be called 'BANANA or Fruits man' by those chinese educated.